Looking out for Signs and Symptoms of Flea Control Poisoning

How do you know if your pet is suffering from flea control poisoning? Flea control poisoning can be vastly different because each animal is different in size, has a different tolerance level and may react differently to how much chemical was used.

Flea Control Poisoning Symptoms

It’s been noted that some flea control treatments can cause several symptoms in pets. Some of these include:

Increase in saliva;
Muscle tremors;
Coma (severe flea control poisoning);
Runny eyes;
Brain damge (severe flea control poisoning); and
Loss of life (severe flea control poisoning).

Every one of these symptoms have been linked to flea control poisoning after shampoos or topical treatments had been applied to a pet.

If you own a cat, never use a flea control product designed for a dog. A cat’s metabolism is vastly different from a dog and they have a tendency to lick their fur for extended periods of time. This constant licking means they ingest the flea control poison. Shortly after this bath, symptoms are likely to show up and can have very negative penalties if not treated right away. Cats can die if they are untreated quickly.

Animals aren’t the only ones in danger of flea control poisoning. Children are also at risk. Do your kids and pets love to spend a lot of time with one another? Any treatment you use can easily get onto their hands. If not washed, this flea control poison can then be ingested when they eat food with their hands. If this occurs, seek medical advice right away. Symptoms of human ingestion include:

Shaky muscles;
Increase in spit; and

Be sure you have the package on hand that you used to treat your pet with so the doctor can take a look at it.

Research is being done on this ongoing problem with flea control poisoning. It’s the goal of pet owners to find an answer soon about this dilemma and address it. Until then, be sure you know the symptoms of flea control poisoning. Make the veterinarian or your family physician know of the chemical used on your pet that caused this problem. Doing so saves precious seconds in both animals and humans.

No comments: